View Single Post
Old May 6 2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Vertical Intermix Chamber and TMP Enterprise

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
Well, the TNG TM makes it pretty clear that what we see in TNG engineering is at the middle of the core on deck 36 of the D, so I'd be inclined to put it in the same location as engineering on the refit as well. I don't think there was any original intention for it to be the top. However, one does wonder why the refit setup would have two 'branches' of similar fashion where the original only had one running longitudinally.
Yeah, sorry, I should have been more specific. When I refered to the original intent for this area, I was reffering to TMP etc, refit, not to TNG setup, (see Probert's cross section) Obviously this area in TNG was the "intermix chamber", but it doesn't necessarily follow that this is true in the E-A? I think by pretending that "TNG set" is actually at the top of the core in the E-A (or at least something coincidently very similar) we can accomodate both it and the traditional TMP intermix chamber "set" layout in the same ship? I agree, though, the deflector cystal should be connectd to the warp core, I'm just sayin it's possible that it need not be?
Oh, I agree that it's possible. But I would think reuse of the same set at least implies similar concepts behind it.

CTM wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
The refit engine room suffers from what I call 'Brady Bunch Syndrome' - i.e., it's too big to fit inside where it's supposed to be even though it's supposed to fit in there, just like the Brady house.

Except it is not so much that it won't fit, it is that it is a tight fit. It works, but it is not the most logical layout. Of course, when performing a refit of an existing design, that is to be expected, at least once. The compromise is typically not a great solution, but it works. I have no problem with the existing fleet of Constitutions receiving this refit, but I do have a problem with doing new-build to the refit spec. It would be akin to building "modernized" Essex class carriers from the keel up, rather than building a carrier designed for jets from the get-go. Not that the ships had outlived their usefulness, but if you were going to build a new ship, why build one with such an obvious engineering compromise if it is no more difficult to simply modify the design to incorporate the improved technology (I would envision a similar ship, but with some components moved around and a thicker neck - would resolve these issues, and be a more sound design - of course that leads us rapidly to the Excelsior design, because as you move back to the drawing board, you wind up changing "a little bit here" and "a little bit there" and the next thing you know you have doubled the mass of the design).
I also agree that it might not be the most efficient layout - but I was under the impression that the forward section of engineering with the corridor would not actually fit within the model structure if the intermix chamber is placed where Probert suggested it be placed?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote