View Single Post
Old May 6 2009, 12:24 AM   #1087
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Worst Case Scenario (**½)

I guess this is the mutiny episode we were never going to get. It's no The Oath.

The episode is pretty good for the first half as the crew plays around in the mutiny. It's not the greatest depiction of a mutiny I've ever seen, but its fun and we get a glimpse at a Voyager that never was. The scenes where the crew discusses the program were also good, it helps make the crew feel like a community.

But I've never been a fan of the second half of the show where Seska shows up and wreaks havoc. There's too many plot conveniences , such as Seska programming a holo-program that can counteract anything Janeway does to interfere, not to mention the fact that the episode falls back on the holodeck malfunction cliché.

Tuvok wrote:
Logic is an integral part of narrative structure. According to The Dictates of Poetics by T'hain of Vulcan, a character's actions must flow inexorably from his or her established traits.
It's annoying that this episode ignores its own advice. I never saw Seska as the murderous type, she just wanted control of Voyager. And she never showed any signs of wanting to kill Tuvok for being a Starfleet infiltrator before, she even had the chance to kill him in Basics and chose to maroon him on a planet instead. But this episode needs Seska to try to kill Tuvok, so she tries to kill Tuvok, going completely against her established traits. I guess Kenneth Biller follows the Tom Paris school of writing; just do "cool" stuff for no reason.

It's a pity, if this episode had stuck to its original idea and explored how Voyager's community responds to the mutiny program then it could have been a really good episode, but they flushed it all for some fun on the holodeck. This episode epitomises the fundamental flaw of this show.