View Single Post
Old May 5 2009, 10:56 PM   #69
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: What is your favorite Star Trek uniform?

clint g wrote: View Post
They were probably just working off of modern US Military trends of streamlining uniforms. In the Army for example, they are working on cutting down the number of uniforms to two. Same with the Air Force, and the Navy is trying to slim down its un-necessarily massive amount of uniforms as well.
I do applaud that simplification, actually, and I feel it is the future of the military and therefore any real Starfleet that gets founded.

It's just - I don't know. I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but I feel like the military needs to maintain some extent of traditions and formality in order to remain successful going forward. Should there be umpteen different types? Certainly not. Even in TMP, looking at it, there were really only about four uniforms, in several different colors and sleeve styles. Would the colors and sleeve styles really constitute a variant? Not to me.

I'd be happy with three different classes - a full-on spit and polish dress uniform reserved for super-special functions, a 'dress-up' jacket and pants combo with a short-sleeve shirt option beneath, and a 'dress-down' jumpsuit with lots of pockets.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote