View Single Post
Old May 1 2009, 09:42 PM   #1512
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Furiously shuttling between the Prime and Alternate Universes...
Send a message via Yahoo to Kruge
Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
Kruge wrote: View Post

the Botany Bay was launched in 1996, and since Nero alters the timeline in the 23rd century, then presumably yes, its still drifting in space....

The general rule of thumb seems to be that which took place before Nero's intervention is the same, everything after is either altered or will no longer take place

I'll show myself out....
What is the likelihood that they are going to show the Botany Bay on the big screen looking exactly like it did in "Space Seed"? Or that Khan's backstory will be tied to 1990's Eugenics Wars?

The temptation, and probable need, to contemporize those details is going to mess with a single point of diverence theory.
WOw this is like the only time I've actually learned something USEFUL from Voyager!! Imagine that!

Remember the episode (or maybe you don't because you never watched Voyager, you lucky person you!) when Voyager's crew travels back to 1996, meets Sarah Silverman, and we see no evidence of the Eugenics Wars having taken place?

Apparently, according to the book I have here by Greg Cox, called Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, that's because the Eugenics Wars were more of a behind-the-scenes, secret agent, shadow government type conflict that the public was largely unaware of...various real-life events are tied in to Khan's meddling in world affairs, with the general population largely oblivious to the truth behind the conspiracy!

And that's how they managed to turn one of Roddenberry's boners (ha ha I said it) into something WAAAAY more convoluted but nevertheless somewhat more believable...I think....

That all being said, I truly hope that they don't revist Khan and his supermen...it was boring in Space Seed, it worked surpisingly well in TWOK, and it was really stupid on Enterprise...Call me hypocritical, but while it was necessary to recruit younger actors to play the leads, it would be definitley a stretch to re-cast Khan...

Plus, if Spock Prime is still puttering around the nuTrek universe at the conclusion of Star Trek, then he could easily tell young Spock and Kirk the best way to defeat Khan....DONT FREAKING WAKE HIM UP IF YOU FIND HIM!!!