Thread: Fitness Checkin
View Single Post
Old May 1 2009, 02:59 PM   #113
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler
Re: Fitness Checkin

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Be patient. 5 minute miles are pretty fast, especially when you're trying to do two in a row. I don't know where you're at right now, or what you've done, but my initial reaction without knowing anything is that I don't think you would be able to get that fast in 2 weeks. For suggestions, do speed-work once or twice a weeks. If there is a track somewhere in your town, do some sort of intervals... sprint x-meters, rest a short period of time, wash, rinse, and repeat.
Cheers

It is quite an unobtainable goal, but this is the only time I will admit that. I'm going to try and push myself harder than I have before. Speed work... thats easily achievable and I have a track in mind for it.

I'm also planning on running as much as possible on the grounds the Army are using to pre-train new recruits (which is ten minutes from my house), as well as signing up with their trainers classes every Tuesday morning.

The goal for my age is something like a mile and a half in 12 minutes, but I want to drop to the younger age group best time. The more I push, the less I'll fall into a comfort zone. My quickest time was 13:37 - since then I've shed a lot of weight and worked on cardio, but this week it all fell apart and I felt like I was back at square one.

This is the one final piece of the puzzle for joining the Army. So... time to focus on nothing but this.