View Single Post
Old April 29 2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Re: L&O: Criminal Intent 8x02 "Rock Star" - Jeff Goldblum debut

Seeing Jeff Goldblum as a detective takes me back. The first thing I ever saw Goldblum in was Steven J. Cannell's Tenspeed and Brown Shoe back in 1980, wherein he played a detective alongside Ben Vereen. Well, actually he played an accountant (Brown Shoe) who wanted to be a PI, and Vereen was a con man (Tenspeed) who somehow ended up being his partner in a detective agency. Ooh, it'd be cool if they could get Ben Vereen to do a guest spot in one of Goldblum's episodes. Except I'm not sure enough people remember Tenspeed and Brown Shoe for that to happen.

I think they're trying too hard to make Goldblum's character quirky, but he's doing okay with it. I didn't care for the resolution of the mystery, though. They just sort of set the manager guy up to be a target for the suspected killer, then followed him and kind of accidentally stumbled into figuring out that he was the killer (or one of them). And I think Goldblum essentially arrested and handcuffed the guy before he had any actual evidence to tie him to the crimes, since I think it was only afterward that he searched the guy's pocket and found the murder weapon. (And why would the manager be so stupid as to keep a knife he'd used to murder someone????) That's pretty incoherent.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote