View Single Post
Old April 19 2009, 07:23 AM   #12
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Kirk's early years.

Omega_Glory wrote: View Post
Kirk's early starfleet career has been mentioned a few times. Any ideas on whether or not the new film will honor:

1) Kirk's first assignment out of the Academy was the USS Farragut. He was a Lieutenant upon leaving the Academy or during at least part of that tour.

2) Kirk served as an Ensign aboard the USS Republic where he exposed an error by his friend Ben Finney. This might have been while he was still at the academy (midshipman's cruise?) if he was a Lieutenant upon graduation. Finney named his daughter after Kirk (Jamie) so they were pretty good friends.

3) Kirk's nemesis at the Academy was an upperclassmen named Finnegan.

4) Kirk was an instructor at the Academy and Gary Mitchell was one of his students.

5) Kirk was the only student to beat the "no-win" scenario at the Academy.

Hopefully, in the new film, the Enterprise won't be Kirks offical first assignment.
I'm predicting that a few of these things won't happen by virtue of Nero's attack on the Kelvin. I would think that in the normal timeline, Kirk joins Starfleet like any other person because his parents supported him. In the Abrams timeline, since his good and honorable parents died in Nero's attack, there would be no one suitable to guide him to Starfleet until Pike comes along.

I would also assume that the movie reinforces the idea that no matter what timeline you're dealing with (including the Mirror Universe), Kirk will always end up as a legendary captain.