View Single Post
Old April 14 2009, 05:05 AM   #11
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

WEEK 3: (Ending 01.17.93)
DS9: A Man Alone (Airdate 01.17.93)

DS9's first regular episode to truly stand apart from TNG, and in some respects it succeeds. Even more so than Past Prologue, the cast get little moments to flesh out their characters. Unfortunately, these good moments are somewhat undone by the convoluted murder mystery. I doubt I'm the only one to think Ibudan is about to say, "And I would have gotten away with it too..." when Odo unmasked him at the end.

While it doesn't tie into sci-fi, here's another growing popular trend DS9 was kind of reflecting at the time: the return of the Western. I'd just recently watched the Costner flick Wyatt Earp, which was released a year after -plus Tombstone was to premier later in '93 as well- and watching A Man Alone, I couldn't help but notice the parallels they were drawing to the Old West, as the show was loosely premised on: tough, no-nonsense sheriff; angry 'torch and pitchfork' mob; trying to start a school in frontier setting. I rather doubt folks would have quite caught onto it at the time, though, since they'd be expecting more TNG type stories.

Yet again, DS9 was the only show with new episodes on this week. Another default victory for the rookie. Will it build enough momentum to take on the veteran TNG once it returns from its winter sabbatical? Stay tuned...

Weekly Winner
DS9

Next: Week 4
DS9 - Babel