View Single Post
Old April 13 2009, 08:39 PM   #689
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

The Chute (***)

I said it in my review of Faces and I'll say it again here; prison stories tend to be boring because we always know that the characters will escape in the end, so you need interesting scenes in the prison to make it worthwhile. Well this episode was reasonable in that regard, and this is probably the best episode to focus on Harry so far.

The idea that they have devices designed to agitate the prisoners isn't exactly compelling, but it does help Harry break out from the annoying NG Trek depiction of perfect humans. Seeing Harry get visibly angry and beating his best friend is good, as Quark once said about hew-mons:
Quark wrote:
But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time... and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people will become as nasty and violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon.
My main problem with this episode is that I just don't enjoy prison dramas all that much. I never liked Oz or Prison Break, and seeing these shows set in space doesn't make me like them any more. It's just a personal preference thing.

Also, at the end Neelix makes a comment about his brilliant piloting skills which happened... off-screen. That's just what I wanted, comments about a brilliant chase sequence I'll never get to see, rub it in why don't you?

Some good character stuff in a fairly routine story. Not the best, but not bad.