View Single Post
Old April 9 2009, 04:07 PM   #492
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile
Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

Kestrel wrote: View Post
First post! I've been lurking since the old SlipStreamBBS went dark, and have often thought about registering or maybe contributing, but recent TrekLit has convinced me to venture out a little bit anyway.
Glad I got to be your first.

Er...

I think the unified direction of TrekLit, inaugurated (I think) by the success of the DS9 Relaunch, is wonderful.
Strictly speaking, it started in 1996 with the Invasion! crossover and was expanded in 1997 with the debut of New Frontier. It became something of an editorial direction in 2001, as Dave Galanter and Greg Brodeur were specifically asked to put a reference to Worf being on taD (from my novel Diplomatic Implausibility, released the previous month) in Maximum Warp, and then we had the post-finale DS9 fiction and so on.

I wasn't entirely sure about Sam Bowers characterization in ASD, seems a bit more abrasive than I remember him being from the DS9R books (though I'm only up to Ferenginar/Dominion), but it certainly works in balance, and especially if I recall we're seeing him with a particular focus of bulldogging as the First Officer.
Well, that and the post-traumatic stress of the events of Destiny....

Lonnoc Kedair continues to be an excellent characters created from the Destiny Trilogy, and her interaction with the Janus Mining Corp. woman was a great scene.
Hee! Thanks! I think Kedair was my favorite Aventine character from Destiny, and I wanted to make sure she got her moment in the sun in ASD.

That said, absolutely my favorite scene in the book was Sonek Pran's jam session and the lead-up to it. Ezri realizing she still has work to do in being connected with her crew, Erin Constantino's holding it together and then losing it, Pran's beautifully sad song about the devastation. Music does a lot for me, and even if I couldn't actually hear it, thinking about people remembering the devastation in song really touched me.
Thanks. "Estadio Chile" is a real song, and the story Sonek tells about how it was written is completely true. (In fact, several real songs were sprinkled in among the fictional ones. Check out my annotations for ASD for specifics.)

And music was a very important theme of the entire book, from Sonek's jam sessions to the A.C. Walden Medicine Show's good-will tour to the Fifth Fleet singing the Warrior's Anthem.

Speaking of Pran, I really enjoyed reading about him!
Thanks so much!

My only slight negative note about him was his strained relationship with his son did seem a bit convenient and I didn't really connect with that drama, but it's only a slight complaint. I especially liked that he was shown to not be perfect, with his verbal beatdown by Dax and the officers he was traveling with for getting too caught up in being relevant again. Humanized him, I think.
That was the idea. I wanted the character to have flaws, plus I enjoyed the irony of a great communicator being unable to talk to his own son.

Speaking of the larger political situation, I enjoy the state of the universe with one quibble - the Imperial Romulan State. Blah, I say.
That was my idea, executed in Articles of the Federation, and I thought it was a logical outgrowth of the chaos Shinzon left in his wake in Nemesis. Sorry it doesn't work for you.

The Kinshaya were great, love the little griffins, and I'm sure we'll get to see some more action from them vs. the Klingons. For what little pagecount they got, they certainly made an impression on me.
Thanks! I wanted to make an effort to make the Kinshaya something we hadn't seen much of in Trek, and also to make sure they were tenacious enough to be worthy foes of the Klingons.

Thanks KRAD for a fantastic book (and David Mack since this is sorta-Destiny-ish too)!
Thanks for the thoughtful review!

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote