View Single Post
Old April 7 2009, 09:17 PM   #164
The Academic
Commander

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, the place that it's farthest from...
Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

perigee wrote: View Post
Of Course Star Trek moving forward will be drastically altered.

It HAS to be.

TOS is reaching towards AARP status - and I don't say that lightly, because that's My series. It was my time, it was our circumstances at the time... and on Saturday mornings I'd laugh like a loon at that piece of junk that Buster Crabbe flew around in when he fought giant lizards and a bald-headed drag queen.

Now, Star Trek is Older than "Flash Gordon" was, when I thought it was pathetic. '66 Trek is over. Cyrano Jones is Done. Harry Mudd is Done. You're old enough now to just leave it. This is not your "Star Trek." It will Never be your "Star Trek." Yours is way over there, and the new one is way over here. Not Equivalent. Not Yours.

What we have now is "turning death into a fighting chance to live." This franchise, which we have loved so well, is now officially the property of a new generation. So far, it seems like we're doing better than the Star Wars fans got. Maybe, in 2050, there will still be a "Star Trek," which I promise will be completely different than anything you can imagine. Maybe Captain Jane Kirk - who knows? Who cares?

In the long run, the series becomes more than a franchise, and becomes something much more - the first real American Mythos. The American Illiad. The American Beowulf.

But you've got to let it go, to let it grow.
That's probably the smartest thing anybody has written about this topic the entire evening*...

*It's 10:16 P.M. where I'm right now.
Clark Ashton Smith: The Hashish Eater or The Apocalypse of Evil
The Academic is offline   Reply With Quote