View Single Post
Old April 7 2009, 08:35 PM   #155
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Re: World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Jefferies wrote: View Post
urbandk wrote: View Post
Jefferies wrote: View Post

The destruction of one of the founding worlds that made that utopia happen somehow doesn't make sense. They could have blown up Earth in stead, as far as the Federation is concerned the difference would have been negligible. This is not utopian and if it were realistic in any fashion it would cast a very dark cloud of doom over the Federation for a long long time. Just imagine if the state of New York were entirely wiped out by terrorists. I doubt America would recovery from that any time soon, and nor would there world as there would be hell to pay I'm sure.
it is a big deal. but isn't how we face tragedy more a test of who we are as a people than how we face good times?
That is naive and totally simplistic. An extreme disaster like that will not let any people, regardless of how advanced they are just continue as if nothing happened. Dispair and grief seem much more likely and I doubt that was the future Roddenberry had in mind. Star Trek was about a future where we live in safty, where there are no WMDs to scare us shitless any more. That was one of the big morale points of the show - humanity having overcome the Cold War and all those types of conflicts not just with themselves but with a larger community of intelligent beings. This movie seems to make a mockery of that vision.
Excuse me, but we had 9/11. We ARE at peace with other beings. VULCUNS !!!! OTHER ALIENS !!!!

The Planet Killer destroyed planets and starships (the Doomsday Machine).

Vejur destroyed countless worlds.

Star Trek is not about us being in a Utopia, it is about us being better, and surviving to that future.

There was conflict with the Romulans and the Klingons.

The antagonists actions have NOTHING TO DO WITH HUMANITY'S SENSIBILITIES !!!!!

Saying this film violates Gene Roddenberry's visoon of HUMANITY (not Romulans) is absolutely incorrect.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote