View Single Post
Old April 7 2009, 07:49 PM   #108
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Excelsior Technical Manual - Revived!

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Chief O'Brien called them the Border Wars, did he not? It's not a huge point, but perhaps it sounds less grandiose than "Federation-Cardassian Wars", reflecting that it was a series of skirmishes rather than a full-blown total war.
Indeed, perhaps I will make some refinements in my nomenclature to include 'Border Wars.'

Good way of explaining the higher numbered Excelsiors though, and a nice way to end on Sulu. But I've got to say, these TOS characters were practically indestructible! Spock, Bones and Scotty are known to be at large in the 24th century, and if you go by the "non-canon" materials, Uhura's the chief of Starfleet intelligence, and Jim Kirk himself is kicking ass like a 25 year old.

Hopefully Chekov died of a heart attack aged 59 to balance things out!
Yeah, that always bothered me a bit. Spock being long-lived is a given. It always made sense that Bones lived so long, in an ironic way. Scotty was a fluke of the transporter. The rest I've always been somewhat 'meh' towards, which is why I've taken great pains not to mention anything that I feel 'meh' towards in one context or another, so those who like that idea can still have them, without it affecting my narrative.

I always imagined Chekov going down with his ship in his sixties or so, in a blaze of glory for a noble cause. It seemed right for him somehow. It would also explain the U.S.S. Chekov from 'Best of Both Worlds'...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote