View Single Post
Old April 6 2009, 12:03 PM   #53
Servo
Rear Admiral

Re: New Freddy Krueger played by Jackie Earle Haley

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Servo wrote: View Post
Checkmate wrote: View Post
So I guess you must have really hated Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars, or every single Doctor after the First Doctor in Doctor Who, too? Those were all original characters "made" by the actors that first played them. But they were hardly the only ones to play them and hardly the only ones to be enjoyed by large numbers of people.

To put it simply, you have no way of knowing if you're going to like a new actor's portrayal until you actually see it. It's the very definition of ignorance to assume otherwise.
Did you even bother to read what I actually wrote? I only ask because you seem to have completely missed the point of what I was saying. What is so hard to grasp about the fact that I was taking about certain roles, and no about recasting roles in general?
Yes, I read it, and the point remains. There's no such thing as "certain roles" in regards to the discussion. It could be Ash from the Evil Dead trilogy, Han Solo from Star Wars, or anyone else you care to bring up. People felt that way about James Bond. People felt that way about the Doctor. People felt that way about Obi-Wan. It's all the same thing. You just don't know if someone can do a better job until you see it first hand. To say otherwise is the definition of ignorance.
Your snide attempts at calling me ignorant are doing you no favours.

Yes, there is such a thing as "certain roles", whether you agree or not. Just because Joe Public doesn't give a crap who plays who in a remake, doesn't mean that's the way everyone feels.

Anyone but Harrison Ford as Han Solo, is not Han Solo. It's a different interpretation of Han Solo, but as Ford is the one who brought Solo to life, it can not be the same character that my generation grew up with. The new actor will change the character, by defenition of his own performance.

Get it?