View Single Post
Old April 2 2009, 02:05 AM   #478
Christopher
Writer

Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Perhaps, but it seems rediculously 1-sided for the Federation to agree that only they are prohibited from using cloaking devices while the Romulans can cloak to their hearts' content. I mean, my god, was the Romulan War going THAT badly for the Federation that they would concede to that point?!
There were no cloaking devices used in the Earth-Romulan War. The treaty in question is what I suppose you'd have to call the second Treaty of Algeron (since some later episode writer confused it with the one that ended the Romulan War, thereby retconning an earlier one into existence), which came about after the Tomed Incident of 2311. I believe Serpents Among the Ruins addresses the factors underlying the treaty.

While I agree that a cloaking device would not be at all practical for something like a Galaxy-class exploration vessel/luxury hotel in space, they could at least outfit their smaller, more combat-focused ships with it. Perhaps they could even develop a new class of larger, more heavily armed warships comparable to a Klingon Negh'var-class battlecruiser or a Romulan warbird. It may seem somewhat antithetical to the Federation's peaceful intentions but it would also seem a necessary evil after the cataclysms of the Dominion War & the Borg invasion and uncertainty of this new era of the Typhon Pact.
And as I've already said, that could indeed happen if the treaty ceases to apply. After all, the lines have been redrawn, and it's questionable whether the Romulan government that was a signatory to the treaty can even be considered to exist anymore. For that matter, we don't know if the treaty is even still binding at all, since the Romulans allied with the UFP during the Dominion War and allowed the use of the cloak on the Defiant. So it's possible that the question is already moot.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote