View Single Post
Old April 1 2009, 10:35 PM   #475
Christopher
Writer

Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

What I've always had trouble believing is that the Klingons would use cloaks. I mean, if Starfleet wouldn't "skulk around," why would the Klingons? Wouldn't they consider it dishonorable to sneak around and hide? Sure, you can somewhat rationalize it on the grounds that warriors value stealth, and that you have to decloak to fire so you're still facing your enemy openly. But the whole idea of Klingons using cloaks is basically an unfortunate artifact of Harve Bennett originally writing ST III with Romulan villains and then failing to change the technology when he changed the species.
Isn't that a bit back to front? The search for spock pre-dates TNG Klingons by about 3 years - while they are visually the same, I don't think the "honor" aspect of their culture was around then was it? Those were TOS klingons updated for the big screen... or maybe not - I haven't seen the search for spock in over ten years so could completely misreading how they were in that film....
Well, that's true. I was speaking in retrospect, not claiming that Bennett overlooked anything previously established so much as saying that what was later established about their honor would make more sense if Bennett hadn't grafted Romulan concepts like cloaking devices onto Klingons. And partly I'm just griping because cloaking devices are overused, and because I really hate the Klingon Bird of Prey, another Romulan concept grafted onto Klingons when Bennett changed the species name in his script but neglected to change anything else.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote