View Single Post
Old April 1 2009, 03:06 PM   #470
Christopher
Writer

Re: A Singular Destiny review thread (possible spoilers)

Paris wrote: View Post
^Just because they have a cloak doesn't mean they have to use it very often. If they use it only in emergencies or situations that call for it, there shouldn't be a problem. SF wouldn't use it routinely, only as a defensive tool when in a hostile area/situation. All they need to do is make sure any non-essential systems are on standby. For example...When the cloak is engaged, things like holodecks and high powered labs would be shut down to minimum so they can get the most out of the cloak.
Yes, if the Treaty of Algeron didn't exist. My point is, I assume the reason the UFP was willing to agree not to develop cloaking tech was because they could live without it, because it would rarely play a major role in the operations of their ships anyway.

We know it's against Starfleet policy as they are explorers by trade and not spies. But this is a different Quadrant than it was in 2311 (I can't believe I wrote that ), and any defensive tool should not be discounted because of power constraints...
Perhaps. But that depends on what happens to the treaty.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote