View Single Post
Old April 1 2009, 02:55 PM   #26
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: I liked the Borg more before the Borg Queen and Q before Voyager.

Praetor wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Damask wrote: View Post
I think though the Borg were never really ever going to work if they appeared all the time. Even TNG's Borg stories got stale and they only had about five of them.

I'd be interested to hear how people would make the Borg a reoccurring enemy but not Voyagerize them.
Turn the Borg into an ideological enemy--even a temptation. A fictional analogue for communism, not a gross stereotype of it. They went the easy way from BoBW on--conceptualizing the life of a Borg as horrid in every conceivable way, a fate worse than death, to be avoided even at the extent of extinction. Turn the contest between the Federation and the Borg into a debate between possibilities for humanity--individualistic dignity at the cost of mortality and pain versus posthuman collectivism at the cost of freedom. Then you've got a concept that doesn't immediately degenerate into space zombies slowwwly advancing on you.

Also, I'd knock off the silly "they don't perceive us as a threat thing" after BoBW. They blew up your cube, idiots. They present a threat.
Dude, that's brilliant and I agree. I'd expect no less from you, of course.
Very interesting take on the whole thing, I agree. Btw, your avatar freaks me out Praetor!

I also agree with what Gotham Central said earlier - the Borg had to be unbeatable by Voyager and her crew - you could pull off a victory over the Borg by clever thinking or something once maybe twice, and have them still scary, but they should have shown episodes where they got well and truly decimated by the Borg - have them a bit like the Cylons in nuBSG's first season - they show up: it's not a case of stand and fight like good Starfleet officers, it's a case of fire everything you can while you get the hell out of there.