View Single Post
Old March 31 2009, 06:31 PM   #70
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Excelsior Technical Manual - Revived!

Sarvek wrote: View Post
I really love where this project is going with the background on the Excelsior but it would also be great to see more artwork depicting the Excelsior NX-2000 vs. the Excelsior NCC-2000.
Don't worry, there will be. I just have too much real world stuff going on at the moment to dedicate myself to the drawing work at the moment, but I promise, stay tuned, they're coming.

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Are we putting aside Sulu's running story about him and the Excelsior as depicted in the filmed-but-dropped scene in STII, and followup in the novels? I quite liked the notion of him already being the Captain-in-waiting in II, being proud of saying she had transwarp drive in III, and (in the novels) being denied his official promotion because of the Genesis incident and then accepting a temporary reduction in rank while they ironed out the transwarp problems in IV and V... Or are you considering your prose as part of the Genesis coverup?
A good, good question, actually.

I was, at one point, considering including it, but thought since it was essentially dropped from the continuity that I would do the same. However, your explanation seems somewhat plausible and I'm willing to reconsider.

I see two possibilities:
1) Styles was just a test captain all along, and Sulu was intended to be the first real captain but TSFS/Genesis ruined that
2) Sulu was intended to take command in TWOK but when the Khan/Genesis issue pushed the timetable, they pushed Sulu to the sideline to stick to their timetable, with the assignment then being given to Styles

What does everyone else think?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote