View Single Post
Old March 31 2009, 04:21 PM   #147
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: Terminator 2-20 "To the Lighthouse" - Discuss/Grade <SPO>

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Only if the power plant has some sort of connection to the internet, which would be incredibly stupid.
I probably shouldn't have used the term hack. Maybe usurp would've been better. If there is something that remotely controls an AI that runs the plant, it could and would be potentially taken over by Skynet.

Wouter2 wrote: View Post
It's perhaps better not to think of it as a read/write mode switch (this indeed makes no sense), but rather as a switch that allows the Terminator to deviate from its mission on its own iniative.
That is how I picture it. It still seems unnecessary.

The whole premise of the show is that humans left such a vulnerability in the original Skynet. Skynet may not have considered its own creations could likewise turn against it, at first.
If there was such a specific vulnerability, it probably wasn't intentional. Skynet would have to be aware of the possibility of its machines turning.

I don't know about being "fully unmanned". No such power plants even exist today, and present-day TSCC is supposed to be identical to our world except for the time travellers (and the hidden plants). It would cause an enormous uproar if a nuclear plant went fully unmanned. I had the impression it was about an automated command-and-control system that could run the plant, but presumably still at least with nominal supervision (though no doubt Weaver made sure the system can do what it wants in practice).
This show isn't identical to our world in science either. So a science fiction concept can fit in much better. No, it probably wouldn't be completely unmanned, but the whole point of using the AI was to safeguard lives and have things be controlled with minimal human interference. If Weaver was setting it up for a potential AI, then she'd probably ensure that it couldn't be taken from it.

But so do the Connors, pretty much. They don't seem to have any good leads anymore; maybe Weaver doesn't have good leads to a second super-AI either.
Weaver is from the future, and she's a practically unstoppable machine. And she is from within Skynet in some capacity, so she has to have some sort of understanding of it. If she goes back into the past with hardly any knowledge, that just seems really dumb.

The - very skilled - workers at the drone factory could have been transferred to another "Skynet prison camp"-like setup, with only the ones responsible for security and for running it getting killed if she would have deemed that necessary.
I dunno, it seems like once she finds someone even remotely untrustworthy she kills them. She wouldn't know who caused the breach or why someone was shot, so it would be easiest to just eliminate them all.

If it turns out that you're right (and you probably are), I just think it was a poor misdirection on the creative staff's part.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote