View Single Post
Old March 30 2009, 12:25 PM   #653
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica Series Finale: "Daybreak, Part II"

I finally got around to seeing Daybreak Pt. 2 on Saturday. It took me a while to digest everything I'd seen and reach an opinion (for now).

I actually waded through almost the entire thread here (which took me a while considering it's 30+ pages). At this point, there probably isn't very much I could add that hasn't already been said before. So I'll keep this relatively short.

When I was finished watching the episode, I didn't really know what to think. There were scenes I adored (Adama's and Roslin's final scenes, Baltar's final scenes, many of the flashback, and many other things) and scenes that left me feeling somewhat uncomfortable or unsatisfied (e.g. wanting to give Cavil resurrection technology or the scenes with the robots at the end).

And, certainly, the finale was quite different from what I'd expected. I'd expected it not to be what I expected but in a different way, if that makes any sense. So I needed a while to wade through where I was feeling uneasy because the episode was different from what I'd expected (which isn't a bad thing) and where it was because I actually wasn't fond of what happened.

Basically, there's really only one issue left that bothers me, and that's wanting to give Cavil resurrection technology. I don't understand why the characters would want to do that or why they think they could entrust Cavil with something that equalled a lot of power.

But in the end, that's not enough to knock the episode over for me by any means.

As a consequence, and after a lot of going back and forth, I decided to go with "Excellent" because I really feel the episode deserves it. It was complex, it was emotional, it was exciting, it was bold and daring, and it was IMHO a beautiful end to a beautiful story.

Interestingly, Daybreak perfectly lines up with something I've said a few times about this show. I think it's a show that's very much about hope. And Daybreak, on many different levels, is an episode about hope.

It's really sad to see this show go. It's sad to see the characters go. But I'm extremely grateful that I was in for the ride. This, so far, has been the most rewarding TV show I've ever seen. And my thanks go out to everyone who invested their talent, their dedication and their passion into making nuBSG - in my mind - a work of art that will be remembered for a long time in my opinion.

I look forward to re-watching S4.5. when it comes out, and I look forward to re-watching the entire series even more so. I think it will be amazing to go back to the Mini and realize the journey all those characters were about to embark upon.

I'll end with what is possibly my favorite quote from the episode or maybe even from the show:

"I laid out the cabin today. It's going to have an easterly view. You should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains. It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."