View Single Post
Old March 27 2009, 06:05 AM   #173
Ktrek
Captain

Re: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea (SPOILERS)

Like others I have to admit I really had trouble staying with this book. I actually had to force myself to keep reading at times and finally finish. It's not that the book is poorly written either. I just personally found the science and biology a little overwhelmingly excessive at times, and too much a part of the storytelling.

The character dynamics were very interesting and are what kept me reading on. I especially enjoy Dr. Ree. The doctor is unpredictable and just insane in many ways, and such a likable character too. Riker for the most part I thought was written spot on but Deanna in many scenes did not work for me and I had trouble hearing her voicing. Tuvok is also one of my favorite characters on Titan and I think he adds to the crew as well as does T'Pel. I know that Vale has been around for quite a few books now but I still have trouble buying into her character. Melora is also another one of my favorites and her relationship with Xin has been interesting to read and follow the growth in their relationship. It will be interesting to see if Xin can grow beyond his cultural restraints, or lack there of, to discover the joy and freedom there is in commitment to a relationship.

I generally enjoy reading Chris Bennett's work and find him quite a creative writer but I hope in the future he will use a little restraint with the science and biology and concentrate more on advancing the story and characters. I give the book 3 out of 5 stars.

Kevin