View Single Post
Old March 25 2009, 09:14 PM   #372
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Prototype (*˝)

"Unfortunately extinction is often the natural end of evolution." - Captain Kathryn Janeway

Firstly, I don't know if this is true. It shouldn't be because evolution via natural selection logically causes a species to adapt away from extinction and extinction is caused by a change in the environment rather than internal evolution. However, I am not an evolutionary biologist and I don't know everything about the subject so I'm not going to make the claim that evolution does not lead to extinction in some rare cases.

But does it matter? Just because death or sterilisation can occur to a species doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to stop it, we pay people to try and stop natural processes every day, they are called doctors. To rule out saving a species as Janeway does is the exact reason why so many people dislike her. It isn't her fault, the writer of this episode is to blame, but she comes across as overly moralistic with little regard for the individuals suffering.

Anyway, the episode has the whole Robots Kill Their Maker™ story and a lot of technobabble scenes which stretched my patience. There is some interesting scenes for Torres but nothing to write home about and they don't exactly feel character specific, so I am afraid that I'm going to have to deduct half a star for being a TNG-style episode. But there is also a reference to flux capacitors, so that earns the episode its half star back.