View Single Post
Old March 25 2009, 02:54 AM   #590
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Re: Was the ending realistic?

middyseafort wrote: View Post
Gregsmack wrote: View Post
middyseafort wrote: View Post
They mutinied and bickered over equipment because, at the time, there was no hope, no planet to settle, and the prospect of spending their entire lives in those flying tin cans. Before that they had some hope and it was shattered by the discovery of Cylon Earth. Their dreams were torn asunder.

Moreover, the series has showed us that the Colonials have clung onto their lives Before the Fall. A few examples: establishing a Quorum; adhering to Colonial military traditions and laws; the jobs they held before the attacks, like the gardners and such on Cloud Nine; presidential elections and the presidency; Colonial designations such as Caprica, Tauron, etc.; and the hierarchy of that society.

And in the background, growing over the four years, this idea that things must change or "all of this has happened and will happen again." For example: Zarek's ideas from the first season on how society has to be redefined and how it was impossible to maintain that lifestyle (he may have been an egotistical ass with delusions of martyrdom but he had a point); Lee's speech at Baltar's trial; the outlaw of abortion; the dangers of vocational inheritance in "Dirty Hands"; and Lee's notion that a new Quorum should be ship-based representation not colony-based.

Because of these examples that I've listed, I do believe that the Colonials once they had planetfall, and particularly this Eden, would be perfectly willing to abandon that which overly complicated their lives and destroyed their civilization. And that there would be a final epiphany... of letting go of their previous lives... the death of the Colonial way of life. And as in Baltar's speech to Cavil, stop the cycle at birth -- in this case, rebirth.

Granted, we didn't get the interstitial conversations and debates that no doubt took place between Lee's proposal in "Daybreak, II" and the acceptance by the fleet. Then again, it wasn't important to moving the story to show that. That it happened was the only thing that needed to be shown from a writerly stand-point, imao.

Excellent post. You've articulated it better than any other poster here that I've seen.
Thank you.
Well said.

Thinking about the ending a bit now, I feel really sad for Lee, all alone at the end. As one of my favourite characters I really hope he went on to have a good life and met someone special
I'm actually welling up thinking about it as I write this
Yeah, I do too. His father apparently doesn't want to see him anymore and Kara is gone. Although considering the fact that we learned he was going to sleep with his brother's girlfriend less than 12 hours after he met her while his brother was in the room, maybe he deserves to be alone on that front.

It's really a shame about Dee though. If she would have hung on a few more months, she would have had a new home and Lee to herself.