View Single Post
Old March 24 2009, 01:07 AM   #336
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Persistence of Vision (***)

Another tale of two episodes here. The first half is pretty dull due to Janeway's visions about some stupid holonovel, the second half where the crew falls victim to the alien is pretty fun.

About Janeway's holodeck program... one of my favourite novels is The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, and I once sat through that Pride and Prejudice film in order to get laid (Result!) and this holonovel of Janeway's just comes across as a really bad parody on those sorts of stories. I don't want to see more of it, so as it begins to break out into the real world it just annoys me.

Then they come across the alien and he begins taking over the ship until Kes saves the day. This is fun and we get to see some really interesting fantasies... except for Tom's. My only problem here is that Kes and the Doctor somehow know how to operate a warp core; that would be like trying to get me to perform an emergency budget for a South American nation I know nothing about with help from Carrot Top.

Once you get past the holonovel bits this is a fun little episode. Half a star detracted due to no mention of the food crisis they had in the previous episode.