View Single Post
Old March 20 2009, 06:19 PM   #287
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Non Sequitur (*)

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams

Space is big. I can't comprehend how big it is and neither can you. You know what else is big? Time. 20 minutes waiting for a bus might seem like a long time, but it is nothing compared to 13.7 billion years. When you calculate the various sizes of the universe with how long it has existed and attempt to give it a value in space-time you will get a number which doesn't mean anything because it is so huge.

So Harry flies into a "time stream" with some funky stuff going on in his shuttle and he randomly affects history in some way. He could change it at any time and in any place, yet somehow the only thing he changes is that Janeway doesn't select him to be on Voyager.

That's like saying I can drive my car into a vat of explosive nitroglycerine and that the only effect it has is to change the colour of my shirt. The title is apt.

Star Trek has bad science and you just have to accept that in order to enjoy it, but the problem is that this episode is also pretty boring and when you have a boring episode it tends to make my mind wander about things like this. Even during the big climactic space battle I was bored and kept finding inconsistencies. Such as:

Harry manages to escape SF security even though he has a tag around his leg and is wearing his communicator. That makes no sense, they could have just transported him directly into a cell. Then Tom and Harry escape from the Dyson sphere from TNG's Relics. The Runabout model that exploded had the roll-bar attached even though it didn't during the rest of the chase. I'm a nerd, I obsess about things like this, how could they think I wouldn't complain about that?

Then Harry hits the "time stream" again and repeats the funky stuff and somehow he is back at the moment of the original problem.

That's like saying I can drive my car into a second vat of explosive nitroglycerine and that the only effect it has is to change the colour of my shirt back to what it was. Oy vey.

Anyway, an episode like this relies upon its character moments to distract you from its horrible plot, and to add to my frustrations they decide to turn Harry from a human being into an emotionless robot. He has to go back to Voyager whyyyyyy? Okay, so Tom ends up a drunk, but I would prefer to be a drunk rather than lost 70 years away from home. At least as a drunk I could go to rehab and be out a few months later with my life back on track, when you are lost far away from home you are never going to get that chance. There is two scenes in this episode that work; when Harry met Paris (say it in a French accent) in the bar and when Harry got to hit that fine looking finance of his. So there is some worth to this episode when it doesn't focus on the plot, but unfortunately there was far too much plot.

Another shuttle was destroyed, and since Voyager is a small ship they probably only had two and I assume we wont be seeing any more.

Shuttle Crashes: 2
Torpedoes: 1/38
Harry deaths: 1 (Although he had two narrow escapes in this episode.)