View Single Post
Old March 19 2009, 11:22 PM   #25
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Joss Whedon and the blurry line between homage and appropriation

Acting isn't exactly a particularly encouraged profession amongst the Asian-American population in my experience. Out of the dozen or so shows I've done, I've encountered 2 east-Asian actors, including at the auditions. If they're casting for the best actors without going out of their way to find Asians specifically, then it really isn't surprising to have a cast with so few Asians in it.

Also, as far as the English language in the future being unrecognizable, there is some truth to it, but considering how much media we have these days, we get as much of our language from movies, podcasts, radio, tv, etc. as we do from our environment. Language isn't going to evolve as fast because that media remains something that links all of us and remains long after it was made. Firefly went a lot further than most productions do, and I expect the reality won't be much more jarring than their guess.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote