View Single Post
Old March 19 2009, 04:05 AM   #7
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: "She can still outrun us, and outgun us."

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
I would imagine that the Miranda-class (at least that particular variant) might be more specialized toward combat than a Constitution-class, given with the added phaser cannons and aft torpedo launchers. The Connies were pretty heavy on scientific, diplomatic, and exploratory missions in addition to combat and so might be a bit more generalized. However, while the Miranda might have a few combat-specialized perks I'm guessing the Connie had more overall power, longer range, and probably more torpedo casings to launch through fewer tubes.
I was actually just thinking along the same lines that the Miranda seems to have many different applications over the years, from unarmed transports to Sisko's scientific Saratoga to apparent power-hitters such as Reliant. So that is important to keep in mind.

Still, it seems like one Miranda can only do one thing well at a time - i.e. the variants I mention above - but that the Constitution is a generalist - jack of all trades, master of none. But I agree that the Reliant is probably generally less powerful and less well-equipped, even if it might be specialized for tactical outings.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote