View Single Post
Old March 18 2009, 09:38 AM   #159
CommanderTroi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea (SPOILERS)

So, finally read the book after it takes always so long for Amazon.de to get them...

I almost didn't want to read the book because of the events of Before Dishonor, but eventually I did and I'm glad I did it. That should not mean that I'm happy with the direction Trek Lit in general is taking at the moment, but I tried to ignore it and concentrate on the book at hand.
I really liked the quiet beginning, I'm fed up with all the action and destruction so this was a very welcome change!
Droplet is just fascinating and I found it nice to read the scientific findings of the crew. But the best thing about this novel is, as it is in most of Mr. Bennett's books, the deep character studies. We get to know the newer characters, such as Ree, Lavena and Pazlar, better and there are some surprising things to learn about the 'old' ones. The whole Troi/Ree arc was very interesting and I thought it was so 'Will Riker' that the captain was more or less pleased by Ree's actions.
All in all I quess that's my favorite Titan novel and Titan is my favorite Trek bookline, so I'm really glad I read the book
Star Trek in general, imho should be more like Titan, about the characters and how they live together on a ship in all their diversity. TNG was my favorite TV show ever, but the TNG novels don't kick it for me at the moment, not in comparison to the Titan series. This novel certainly helped to smooth my opinion on recent Trek Lit a lot. I'm really looking forward to the next Titan installment, thank you very much Mr. Bennett and please keep up the good work!