View Single Post
Old March 17 2009, 02:15 AM   #202
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
You know, if the show isn't about revelations and answers, they shouldn't have set it up so there are these intriguing questions that we'd want answers to.
I agree.
I think it's clear the writers don't agree - I'm going to guess you were unhappy with Anders explaining about the Final Five as well.

I don't think it's good or bad, necessarily, to set up mysteries and pay them off as big reveals, but BSG isn't doing that. How did we find out who the fifth Cylon was? We got told flat-out by a character. The nature of the Final Five? Someone virtually turned to the camera and explained it.

I understand why it's a pisser for some, but it's not an accident - it's a choice by the writers. I fully expect, now that everyone's said it will be revealed, that someone will say "Head people? That's caused by X and Y." and maybe the characters will briefly discuss how they all came into contact with X and Y... The only reason I see these writers delving into the meaning, is if it gives the characters something interesting/complicated/painful to react to.

As Neil Gaiman wrote " It is the mystery that lingers, and not the explanation, as I [Neil] had Cain say, quoting Sacheverell Sitwell". BSG is more interested in the mystery than the solution. So there's that.

Plus, it's a choice I've come to appreciate. In life, sometimes stuff happens to you and you never find out why. If someone pushes you into traffic, there may be an interesting or valid reason why, but your experience of it is probably confusing, painful and hard to make sense of. Just because you don't know the reason, doesn't mean the reason isn't there. (Though I wouldn't push the writers on a lot of this.)

Honestly, I lost my expectation to have every mystery explained a long time ago. I wasn't happy to do it at first, but I enjoy the show for the ride. I'm not suffering through it for some gift of revelation at the end.