View Single Post
Old March 16 2009, 12:39 AM   #30
SiorX
Fleet Captain

Re: Peter David may (?) have killed Scans_Daily

Jan wrote: View Post
Perhaps if the moderators at Scans Daily had actually done their jobs and kept the scanned pages to a level that could be regarded as Fair Use none of this would have happened at all.

Jan
One rather ironic part of the whole thing is that the s_d mods were due to roll out new, far stricter rules drastically reducing the percentage of a floppy which could be scanned within the next couple of weeks.

I like s_d because it's a great resource for keeping track of books that might interest me. (I find the marketing divisions of the big two completely useless in that regard). Wanking and moaning aside, one of its strengths is that it's got a strong fanbase of people who are pretty savvy about digging out books which are inclusive in their characters and themes - very handy for anyone who's interested in story elements that may not get much press space in the official advertising.

I'm not going to rail against PAD the supervillain here. Copyright law is on Marvel's side. I think Gail Simone's reaction to s_d is the most pragmatic one, but PAD's actions were legally perfectly justifiable. I have to admit though, I was more of a fan of his before this made me aware of his presence on the web. Tbh, I thought he came across as a bit of an arse. I can't help feeling that if I ever again sit down to read Q-Squared I'm going to hear him hissing in my ear about how "ants don't get to condescend to eagles".
SiorX is offline   Reply With Quote