View Single Post
Old March 14 2009, 11:31 PM   #144
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x19: "Daybreak, Part I"

Hermiod wrote: View Post
I wonder how many people in this thread have ever read a book but had to stop about a third of the way through before picking it up later.

I wonder how many of those people would complain if the story wasn't completely explained in that first third.
I agree that these big epic dramas like BSG are essentially one big massive episode and to pre-emptively criticize it for not having answered all the questions or for not having answered them satisfactorily is absurd and premature. It would be like criticizing a book a third of the way through or if you started watching a standalone one hour mystery and turned it off 15 minutes into it complaining nothing was answered or revealed.

I'm certain, despite what some posters have said in this thread, that all the unanswered mysteries will get answered by the end of the finale next week. I'm not worried about that.

The problem is you need interesting stuff, whether plot-wise or character-wise, to maintain your interest in between. There needs to not be only interesting stuff in the big moments of a finale. The journey shoould be just as interesting. And frankly repetitive scenes of the Opera House or Anders in a tub or Boomer being conflicted when we haven't seen her in years or Baltar and his cult groupies etc just isn't cutting it.