View Single Post
Old March 14 2009, 12:59 AM   #15
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Ambassador class weapons

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Ridiculously maneuverable? A starship capable of accelerating to a fraction of the speed of light in a matter of seconds is "ridiculously maneuverable" for racing towards a Borg cube at four hundred miles per hour?

Actually, I'm inclined to interpret that scene with the usual "objects in space are farther than they appear" claus, that the ships are actually several hundred thousand miles apart and that both would appear as mere spec against the background of space.

I'm not talking about acceleration, I'm talking about maneuverability. They turn pretty fast compared to other ships in the series except Defiant
But not compared to the Enterprise-D in the FIRST EPISODE of the series, to say nothing of the similar maneuver--at WARP NINE--by the battle section alone. That high-speed banking maneuver around the Q-forcefield is repeated dozens of times in stock footage and still represents a pretty nimble vessel. The Nebula and Ambassador classes aren't even that large.

Besides, didn't we see an old Miranda class ship doing slalom turns back and forth in "What You Leave Behind" to try and dodge Breen weapons? I think it's safe to say most Starships are exactly as maneuverable as their helmsman's fingers.