View Single Post
Old March 13 2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: A question regarding ST Soundtracks

Ya. This is just screaming for a 'REDO!' isn't it? This was a project I did at Savannah College of Art and Design and the assignment was to come up with a CD case of anything we wanted and make the color in the artwork reflect the product. I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to create my dream soundtrack of Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan.

Since this was color theory, I wanted the look of the packaging to have that harsh reds and orange colors from the movie and have a row of screen shots below the titles showing off various bits from the movie that were catchy. I put the shot of the Enterprise in the Mutara Nebula in the center thinking it would provide a nice contrast with the rest of the screen shots. But as you can no doubt tell, the images aren't perfectly lined up and I have a HUGE problem with dissolving the images next to each other. If ONLY I went with my folks to all those photoshop courses they've attended over the years, I'd have this thing nailed.

The back cover is where the real fun came in. First thing I did was watch Star Trek II and identify where every piece of music is from the film because this soundtrack was going to contain all of it. I put one * for never before released music, and ** for the film version of that score which puts in missing cues and removes Spock's ending narration. The hardest task was coming up with names for these tracks. I got so into it that I ended up renaming some of the already existing tracks that were on the official release to coincide with what I did for the new tracks.

Make no mistake. There are errors in this packaging. Tracks 4 and 5 are pretty much the same track, and track number 18 should be labeled ** instead of just *. I would also change the title of the last track because I did this before I knew about the Enterprise "These are the Voyages" episode and the last thing I want fans to think about when they look on a Star Trek II soundtrack is that pitiful last episode from ENTERPRISE. Sorry if I offended you if you liked that episode, but as a Star Trek fan who stopped watching ENTERPRISE after episode 1, the idea behind "TATV" is so cold and barren I actually felt sorry for the fans of the series who were looking forward to a nice fitting ending for their series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star Trek Front (low).jpg (55.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Star Trek Back (Low).jpg (90.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Jeyl; March 13 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote