View Single Post
Old March 11 2009, 05:45 AM   #23
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: So...where are WE? (Spoilers!!)

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
So far (and this could change if there are new revelations), the show's mythology contradicts well supported observational evidence that life on Earth evolved right here. Until that changes, I consider the question "How do WE fit in?" to make as much sense with regard to BSG as it does to Lord of the Rings.
I disagree - the civilisation that the final five came from is not supposed to be ours.

If you assume the Earth is our Earth, then they either come long before or long after us IMHO.
I don't assume that it's our Earth. I assume that it's a fictional universe in which the writers have borrowed various elements of the real world and changed around others, just like Lord of the Rings, or, say, the alt-version of Earth in Independence Day, where there was a President Whitmore and aliens attacked us in 1996. Every work of fiction should have *internal* logical consistency, but I don't demand that it be consistent with the real world.

At the moment, I'm just taking the show at face value, that life originated on Kobol, and so the show is not congruent with the real world, where we have pretty solid evidence that life evolved here on Earth. That discrepancy is fine by me, as it's just a fictional world that we're talking about. If Moore wants to change it around in the last episode, to make it more consistent with the real world, then that's OK.....but I won't be the least bit bothered if he doesn't.