View Single Post
Old March 10 2009, 07:06 PM   #202
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Excellent episode.

I was a bit upset that after the big deal they made about Roslin "passing out/dying" that there was no real reaction to it. Next time we see her, she's in the bed in sickbay. Felt like a cheap cliffhanger from last week.

Then I thought about it.

I think Roslin died at the end of last week's episode. I think she died, and that Bill still hasn't accepted it. Note that he was the only one to interact with her this week and there was nothing new that came from her. Lee didn't consult her about the ship captain's dilemma either. I don't think there's any discussion with Laura about Hera being kidnapped either.

What was going on in those scenes between Bill and Laura? They talked about the cabin on New Caprica. He read Searider Falcon to her. They smoked a joint. All things they'd done before. All things that would remind him of her, things that would serve to make him feel as if she were still there with him.

He doesn't want to let go of Galactica because he doesn't want to let go of her. When she tells him, "You probably love this ship more than you love me," she's right. But he doesn't want her to be right. He realizes he HAS to let go of one or the other. And rather than give up the woman he loves, by the end of the episode he decides to give up his ship.

Again its all conjecture, but it would be a refreshing way to tackle this story point they've been telegraphing for all this time, especially after that hamfisted ending last week.

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 10 2009 at 08:46 PM.