View Single Post
Old March 9 2009, 11:17 PM   #69
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Re: Are the Cardassians the most interesting Race in the Star Terk Gal

Thor Damar wrote: View Post
Interesting debate and some very thought provoking points made by Myasishchev, some of which I hope to address in this post. (Warning: this may result in either a rant or a Cardassian style monologue)
And what's wrong with that?

As for the Ferengi becoming the "anti-Federation" I have several reservations with this concept. Firstly the Ferengi are a caricature of capitalism and quickly became a running joke (Quark was an admirable attempt to move beyond this but too many Ferengi episodes ruined it IMHO). Secondly why should a alliance of arrogant libertarians be the only alternative to the alleged Communism of the Federation? Oh look it's 400 years in the future and we're still fighting the Cold War. Hooray for neo-Liberalism.
I agree completely. The Feds should have a foe who makes us think. I enjoy the Ferengi (in smallish doses) but I wouldn't call them particularly thought-provoking. Honestly, I don't think the Klingons ever caused me to think that much either. The TOS Klingons were just regular old bad guys - not without interest, but it was always really clear who wore the white hats and who wore the black ones. Nothing thought-provoking there. The later Klingons had some interesting characters and could have been interesting, but...they got too much into all that pseudo-honor stuff (and some of it was pseudo), and after a while it was all treachery and revenge and aggression and clashing swords and so on. Eh.

The Romulans had real potential, and still do. But they'd need to be filled out a bit now - they haven't been used enough so that we know enough about them to make them thought provoking.

It's precisely because the Cardassians occupy (and I hope you'll forgive me for using that word) a middle ground between the two that makes the Cardassian Union's interactions with the rest of the Alpha Quadrant so interesting. I do hope they don't just revert to being the federation's adversaries in 20 years time, perhaps a neutral Cardassia would have more dramatic impact.
Still agreeing here...

As for the Borg, I have never liked the collective and aside from the first few times that they appeared, I never found them to be that interesting. All they do is take from others subjugating entire worlds and civilizations to the Collective's will. The Borg have nothing to offer to the universe and I'm glad that they are finally gone.
I agree (again). The Borg are kind of like a tsunami - an impersonal destructive force. When they were new and unknown, they were really creepy, with all those spare parts and grey skin and everything. But the problem with an impersonal destructive force is...what can you do with it? Is it possible to make the same impersonal phenomenon dramatic again and again over a relatively short time?

I think the Trek writers did their best (the Borg queen, having the Borg assimilate characters we care about, having some Borg freed, etc.). But that cow has been milked dry, IMO.

As for Damar's rebellion I will be addressing the causes and affects of Damar's actions in my next essay which will be on the politics of the Union.
Great. I look forward to it.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote