View Single Post
Old March 9 2009, 09:22 PM   #195
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Why is it never enough that a story about people be observant and moving? Why do skiffy fans always indulge in this apologia about "big questions" and "teaching" and such pooh-bah?
Oh I'm not really a scifi fan. I like Trek because I was indoctrinated as a baby, it took me a long time to get into BSG and I watched Lost because it tried to hide its true scifi roots until I was already hooked. And I watched Firefly because I was going through a bad break-up and needed something to watch during night's long journey into day and it was the only show my brother had which I hadn't seen (other than B5 which I had previously tried and failed to get into).

As for movies, I've watched Star Wars because it is a cultural phenomenon, I watched 2001 one afternoon when I had nothing else to do and I watched Blade Runner, which actually put me to sleep. People are shocked when I tell them I've never seen any of the Terminator or Matrix films, but the truth is that I have no desire to. As for scifi novels, I've read HHGG because I was told it was my kind of humour, which it was for the first two novels. I don't remember reading any others.

So why do I look for "big questions" from scifi shows? Because I look for them everywhere be they in TV, movies, novels, music, pictures or nature in general. And if I don't find them then it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the thing but the experience is richer if they are there.

By the way, I am currently suffering from the flu and appear to be pretty high on flu relief capsules, so that might account for that hippie bullshit I just wrote.