View Single Post
Old March 9 2009, 02:12 PM   #126
Christopher
Writer

Re: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea (SPOILERS)

Vestboy wrote: View Post
Valid point, but I think under the circumstances the crew (especially Riker and Troi) were going a little too quickly to, "It's okay, it's not your fault." Said hearing shouldn't be written off as some paperwork formality, but a serious inquiry of how much it was external influence, and how much it was his own actions and instincts, and how culpable he is for that. A prosecutor would just have to A. ask Troi if she targeted psychic influence on Ree and B. point out that no one else in the room with Troi at the time freaked out and kidnapped her, and then the question would be turned back on Ree: how much of this was your own instincts, and how responsible are you, a sentient member of Starfleet, for the choices you made as a result of those instincts?
I'm sorry, but that sounds rather racist, to hold someone accountable for having instincts and responses that are different from those of other species. The whole point of Titan is to accept the fact that different species have different behaviors, different standards, etc. and not force everyone to conform to a human set of assumptions. I mean, come on, Worf murdered Duras in cold blood and Picard just gave him a slap on the wrist because it was part of his Klingon culture. Jadzia helped her three Klingon friends kill the Albino and eat his heart, and that was also forgiven as an acceptable cultural variation, even though it wasn't her own culture! Ree didn't do anything nearly that extreme.

Under normal circumstances, a Pahkwa-thanh male's protective instincts are very beneficial. They keep children safe, which is undeniably a good thing. What happened here was a freak concatenation of circumstances: Deanna's grief and fear for her baby, amplified by Tuvok's grief at his own loss, triggered Ree's instincts, and given the immediate danger to the ship at that particular moment, those instincts compelled Ree to do everything in his power to get the baby away from the danger. Under most circumstances, 99 percent of the time, an instinct to get a baby to safety would not be defined as criminal behavior! You have to remember, Ree was reacting as if it were his own child that was in danger. You'd throw the book at someone for that?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote