View Single Post
Old March 8 2009, 11:55 PM   #55
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Re: Are the Cardassians the most interesting Race in the Star Terk Gal

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I would really hate to see them join the Federation. It would be nice to see someone manage to reform and yet NOT feel this burning need to subsume their culture and independence to the almighty Federation. In fact--you know what would be REALLY cool? To see someone rival the Federation not in military might but in a "friendlier" sort of competition. I'd like to see the Federation face the fact that they're no longer looked to as the galactic be-all end-all. I think a post-war, reformed Cardassia could be exactly the right sort of challenge: a society that is no longer expansionistic, but also refuses to embrace relativism/pluralism, and that stays conservative. I think it could cause a great deal of discomfort in the Federation and near it, maybe shake up that self-righteousness a bit.
I think this is a great idea - it would add so much complexity to the Trek universe. Besides, I already in an earlier post confessed my fondness for moral ambiguity, and that's what you'd have here. There are other races who have kept themselves out of the Federation, but they've isolated themselves so the Federation and the rest of us can easily ignore them. A people that is not isolated, does not wear black hats, and yet refuses to join the Federation....oh yes. I like this a lot. It would be good for both the Federation and the Cardassians, actually.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote