View Single Post
Old March 8 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: The Wii Zapper: simply AWESOME! Ultimate Target Master!

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I think hardcore game developers have given up on the Wii. The Wii is now for soccer moms and their little kids. I've always defended Nintendo against the notion that it is kiddy, but no longer. Gamers are no longer Nintendo's target audience.
I can understand why hardcore game developers would rather develop games for the 360/PS3/PC, but I do think we're going to start seeing some AAA hardcore games in the next year or two. Don't forget it takes 2 to 3 years to make a AAA hardcore game, and by 2007 and 2008 developers were realizing the Wii wasn't a fad.

As for Nintendo I'm sure they have plenty of hardcore games in development, they have just changed their marketing strategy so that they don't announce most games until a few months before they come out. Personally I think it's a bad idea and you don't build up hype among hardcore gamers, but I guess they think it's a good idea.
The problem is that the Wii's hardware was outdated when it first hit the market. After analysis, the statement that it has roughly the power of the first Xbox is only true when taking into account the additional computing power required for the motion-detection hardware. Its hardware has already been stretched to the extent of its capabilities. Outside of this "Wii Motion Plus" thing, about which Nintendo is strangely quiet, the Wii's biggest breakthroughs have already come and gone.

However, because of its utterly insane sales numbers, I fear the Wii is the harbinger of a dark generation for gaming ... a time when a control gimmick is the prime mover, as opposed to game quality. Robbie Bach, of Microsoft, says that a jump in graphics, sound and gameplay quality won't be enough to succeed in the next generation (a likely indicator that Microsoft is building motion-sensing capability into its next console). He's wrong. But the Wii's success is teaching the entirely wrong lessons for the next generation of consoles.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote