View Single Post
Old March 7 2009, 06:44 PM   #88
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Average.

There are a lot of ideas being tossed around, some of them interesting (Starbuck is human yet resurrected?) some of them meh (now the Cylons have a secret homeworld? how convenient) but it just isn't cohering into a story. It's a jumble of elements being tossed at us in order to fill time till the show ends. At this point, just before the end, there should be more of a sense of cumulative tension building to something of some importance, and instead it's just circling the drain.

Some emotional resonances still exist - Kara and Sam, Adama and Roslin, Adama and Tigh toasting the Galactica before her demise - but the major storyline, which has become The Eternal Cylon Soap Opera of Boredom, completely falls flat. I don't give a frak about Hera, or whether the Cylon race survives. They're a failed experiment, and they don't deserve to survive. Why doesn't anyone just admit it or even mention it as a possibility?

Adama blathered about humanity not deserving to survive, even though we've now discovered that humanity did nothing wrong and the whole catastrophe was Cavil throwing a tantrum and his Cylon pals (presumably) being either incredibly gullible or moronic to just go along with him unquestioningly. The Cylons were the ones at fault, so why don't they go commit suicide now? It would be consistent with the harsh moral tone this series has often taken, and is one of its most unique qualities that separates it from other sci fi sagas. I don't mind that tone - it's good to have something unique - but morality needs to be applied consistently or it becomes meaningless pompous twaddle.

I still fail to understand why the writers set the Cylons up to be not just evil but flat-out idiotic, yet expect us to have a shred of sympathy for them. The writers are the ones who have destroyed the possibility of that sympathy, so they should be honest about it in how they write the conclusion of this story. I wonder if they even realize what they've done - I don't think they do. There's clearly a story they want to tell, but it's not the one that they're telling. To tell that story would require a great deal of rewriting of the Cylons. The lack of advance planning is really showing now - they should never have attempted to tell a story this complicated completely on the fly.
I hope to god that galactica goes out in style, and that this show does not end on a downer or in a sopranos style.
If any show ever required a downer ending, this one is it. If the Cylon race doesn't end up completely exterminated for all time, it will render the harsh moral tone of the series nothing more than pompous twaddle. For the good of BSG, all Cylons must die! (Sorry Sam, you too. )
Am I the only one who teared up when Adama broke down in painting the Wall?
They've pulled that bit one time too many and at this point, it's cheap melodramatics. I kind of cringed/sneered at it, to be honest.
I'm not saying that BSG should be Lost. I'm saying the writers of BSG could learn a thing or two from the writers of Lost. To illustrate this, I'd say that Lost is just as much about its characters as BSG is about its characters. However, while Lost has developed exceptional characters, they have ALSO developed the plot in extremely interesting ways.
Yup.

BSG = Show worth watching for some of the characters, but the overall story is clumsy and sometimes painful to endure to get back to the good character moments.

Lost = Show worth watching for many of the characters and the overall story is great, too, so there are no dead periods where characters you don't give a flip about are on the screen and/or people are yakking about plot elements that really should have been dramatized, so that you are tempted to hit the fast-forward button just to get to the good stuff.

Why settle for one thing when you can get the whole package? I know Lost sets a very high standard for TV shows, but the standard exists and it's silly to ignore it out of some misguided loyalty to what is, after all, just a silly TV show about killer robots in space.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; March 7 2009 at 06:57 PM.