View Single Post
Old March 7 2009, 06:10 PM   #84
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
kipron wrote: View Post
the show is as good as it has ever been, if not better.
No, sorry, it really isn't.
You don't get to make that decision, since you were never the showrunner.
Because I'm a show viewer, you bet I get to make that call. Of course, as a fellow show viewer, you get to make your own call.
The show has always been about the characters.
Yes, but good writing will develop characters AND the plot. Yes, that is more difficult but that's why it's called good writing.

This is how it has always been, and the show is definitely not gonna change its tune in its final hours. Get over it or stop watching.
Wow, you're being a bit harsh there. I've never said that I didn't enjoy the show. I just think it could be better in some ways. And, at points, BSG has been exceptional. The last 3 weeks have been a bit bland. I call them as I see them.

I'm pretty sure they could.
Its just that they don't want to, because they chose a different approach to storytelling.
This show is NOT Lost. Nor did it ever want to be.
I'm not saying that BSG should be Lost. I'm saying the writers of BSG could learn a thing or two from the writers of Lost. To illustrate this, I'd say that Lost is just as much about its characters as BSG is about its characters. However, while Lost has developed exceptional characters, they have ALSO developed the plot in extremely interesting ways.

This wasn't always the case with Lost. There was a time when Lost stumbled with the plot developments and you can bet I was criticizing that as well. But, the writers adapted, it's no longer a problem, and I give them high marks for that. I call them as I see them.

In the end, if it's ALL about the characters, you might as well write a soap. And BSG went down that path as well.

Mr Awe