View Single Post
Old March 6 2009, 09:07 AM   #16
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Star Trek season 1 on blu-ray: April 28

AxelFoley wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
AxelFoley wrote: View Post
I'll stick to my DVD's, Bluray sucks.
??????

In what way?
In a way that makes people much more picky about the picture quality. And in a way that makes it a living hell for us collectors.
I still don't get what you're saying. Blu-ray is making people more discriminating? And that's a bad thing? I'm not sure what your point is.

I got a bluray for Christmas and in just a few months I've been absolutely amazed by the movies I've seen -- not new movies, but the classics, like Casablanca, Patton, and 2001. The crystal-clear HD picture quality on these old movies just blows my mind. This isn't any kind of upgrade, this is picture quality that was already present that VHS and DVD didn't allow you to see because it only allowed for limited resolution on a standard television set. To see these movies now closer to the way they were originally shown in the theater is a bad thing? Until I saw these movies on bluray, I had no idea just how much of them I just wasn't seeing. It was like seeing them for the first time.

I can see not wanting to spend the money on upgrading. If I didn't get the bluray as a gift, I wouldn't spend the money on it yet. There are some DVD sets, too, I'm fine with never ugrading to bluray if they were release them, like thr first two seasons of Twilight Zone and Lost. But those play on my bluray, too, so I don't see what sucks about it. It's like wanting to go back to VHS because... well, just because.

EDIT: Come to think of it... anyone here have the whole Star Trek collection on VHS? Back in the day I bought like fifteen episodes. A couple episodes of TNG, too. Anyone here have every format released so far, VHS, DVD, and now buying the bluray?
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote