View Single Post
Old March 6 2009, 12:18 AM   #258
Cid Highwind
Fleet Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x17: "Someone to Watch Over Me"

I'm rewatching the "big revelation" scene again and again since I've first seen the episode, and I'm still amazed at how good it is.

When I saw the episode for the first time, I didn't immediately get that Slick=Daddy=not-real vibe, as most of you did. Maybe I was a little too dense that evening, or maybe it was the fact that I was spoiled about the "Watchtower" reveal and so concentrated on that part. On first viewing, I even missed the fact that Slick was gone the moment Tigh grabbed Kara.

However, what makes the scene so great, in my opinion, is the fact that, upon reviewing, all of this really didn't came as some big punch-in-the-gut surprise out of nowhere but instead just fell into place naturally - and that this feeling is shared between the viewer and the character in the scene.

There is some sense of inevitability to all of this - just like the viewer, Kara seems to know that something is up with that guy, at least on an unconscious level. She is not at all surprised that this stranger is her dad, as you can see by the Father/Daughter interaction from her memories being so casually repeated by her and Slick.

For that scene alone: Excellent!