View Single Post
Old March 5 2009, 04:40 PM   #15
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: if Chakotay doesn't have a last name, when he gets married...

destro wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Why should a woman take the last name of his husband? I know it's a surprise to some, but among all western nations, it's only in the US that it's still customary.
Uh, there are MANY countries where this is customary.

Personally I don't care either way, but you're just flat out wrong here.
In the world, you are right. But in the western hemisphere, only Anglophone nations still do that, and in the UK it's a declining trend (if I remember correctly). Honestly, I don't know about Australia and New Zealand.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
There was this bloke called Duras on Enterprise. The name is old, so is the family and the need to lord over it using a symbol of authority, even if that is just a heriditically passed "name".

I think the leader of the house assumes the name (Romans were big on this as well as adopting adults to create lineage.) of the house, or mothers expecting their children to assume leadership, however unlikely give their kids the name of the leader of the house as the tiniest nudge towards being ambitious, but then it would be kind of pathetic have 1/2 the house having the same "name"? You'd think that the name would be forbidden for any one to use but the ruler of the house?
As I said, it is confusing. Maybe Duras is the name of the founder of the House one thousand years ago, and the ones we saw are just people that bear his name. Same with Mogh. On the other hand, when Quark assumed the head of Grilka's House in DS9, it assumed the name of House of Quark, so we have evidence that the name of the House is that of the ruling male. Or maybe, it could just be that different Houses have different rules, as surname rules are different in human cultures.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I got Fiddler on the roof hammering through my memories right now.

"Tradition! tradition!"
Yeah, but tradition of who? Neither Seven nor Chakotay apparently belong to culture where it's customary for the wife to assume the surname of the husband, or vice versa. You are applying a tradition to people that do not share it.

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Neelix and Tuvok don't have last names.
Vulcan family names are also confusing. Apparently the use the patronymic (Spock, son of Sarek), and in very formal occasion the double patronymic (Sarek, child of Skon, child of Solkar). Many novels assume that they have clan or family names. It could be the "almost unpronunciable for a human" name that Spock never told to Leila Kalomi, or the one that Spock's mother had difficulties to learn in Journey to Babel.

About Talaxian names, I do not want to know.