Thread: The Beatles
View Single Post
Old March 4 2009, 10:02 AM   #14
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Beatles

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
I can't say I've ever been much of a fan. When it comes to '60s music, I far prefer bands like the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. The Beatles just always seemed a little to "cute" for my tastes.
Level 2 Diagnostic wrote: View Post
CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
I can't say I've ever been much of a fan. When it comes to '60s music, I far prefer bands like the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. The Beatles just always seemed a little to "cute" for my tastes.
They were way too cute for their own good. I was really into them when I was a teenager, but then I grew up.

I can't imagine any self respecting rock band these days recording a song like "Ob Lah Di" or "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" or "Octopus' Garden" or "Bungalow Bill". They'd be laughed right out of the business.

They recorded a handful of really great, innovative songs like "I Am the Walrus" and "A Day in the Life", but I'm afraid most of their records are the kind of inoffensive, non-threatening music that can be enjoyed by toddlers and grannies alike. Personally, I prefer my music to have a little more bite to it.
The Beatles created a paradigm shift in music. The Stones were re-vamping blues and had to play catch-up with Her Satanic Majesty's Request. Hendrix took a lot from the London guitar scene that he was a part of before making it big-and that scene came out of inspiration provided by the Beatles. As for the Beatles being too "cute"-nobody looked at rock 'n' roll as serious until the Beatles came along and began incorporating classic strings, Middle Eastern and Big Band brass into their songs. They have a song that would fit in every category that exists today as a sub-genre and if their music sounds "safe" for Granny, well, keep in mind that any long-haired, flower-wearing eighteen year-old in 1965 is now 63, one year away from answering a question the Beatles posed with amazing foresight a long time ago - will you still need me? I would say that we do need them, they are the backbone of rock and their legacy and sound(s) are echoed and imitated by every band that currently writes music. If they seem so familiar that they comfort or offer up an idea of safety, remember that they are that familiar for a reason: they didn't set the bar, they built the bar. Then they had a couple of drinks there and shared some laughs with us. The Beatles will be remembered in the same breath as Louis Armstrong, T. Monk, and Scott Joplin. When we are but food for worms they will be remembered and studied. And I'm willing to bet that some graduate student of Music Studies will base a thesis on the musical construction of Bungalow Bill.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote