View Single Post
Old March 2 2009, 09:26 PM   #92
Fleet Captain
Re: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea (SPOILERS)

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't understand why there's a discussion about abortion going on here. First, as I already said, there was no abortion-rights issue in Destiny. The baby was inevitably going to die (as far as anyone knew at the time). It's not as if Ree's decision would've changed the baby's fate -- only the mother's fate was in question. I think that trying to cast this as an abortion-rights issue is profoundly misreading the facts of the case.

Second, this debate is about something that happened in Destiny, so what is it doing in the thread for Over a Torrent Sea? Aren't we getting off topic here?
I agree. Neither this book nor Destiny was talking about abortion at all.

I finished this last night, and I second basically everything else above.

Some comments:
-Before the name of Riker and Troi's daughter was revealed, I had a feeling that it would be Tasha. When I read the part referencing 'the woman who died trying to save my life' (coming from Troi), I knew that HAD to be Tasha.
-I agree with a few other posters that I would like to see more of Dakal. The first Cardassian in Starfleet is a big thing, especially considering the not-so-friendly relations either have had with each-other for 20-30 years or so. At least when Worf joined Starfleet, the UFP and the Klingons had been allies for some time.
-Bralik is another character that I was glad to see SOME of, although it wasn't very much this time.
-I thought that the beginning dragged a lot, as the Titan crew was attempting to figure out what was going on. Pretty much once it was determined that the asteroid was headed for Droplet, things heated up.
Deputy Director, Section 31

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote