View Single Post
Old March 2 2009, 10:25 PM   #67
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Sovereign Class and Photon Torpedoes

Timo wrote: View Post
True. It means only that, except for the Defiant, Starfleet doesn't build them anymore.
Sisko didn't say that. Sisko just said the Defiant was a warship, which is compatible with Starfleet building warships at that time, and having built them in the 22nd century, and planning on doing so in the 2380s as well.
Sort of a hundred year gap reflecting more peaceful times, though, which is the point of the conversation. It wouldn't have been that big an issue in, say, the Yesterday's Enterprise alternate timeline where the Federation was at war with the Klingons.

Kira in response rolled her eyes and said "I thought Starfleet didn't believe in warships" - a quip Sisko didn't really deign to respond to.
And yet his response basically confirmed Kira's point: "Desperate times call for desperate measures." As a rule, Starfleet doesn't... unless the Borg are involved.

It would be easy enough to argue that Starfleet vessels are warships first and foremost...
... except that even a a hundred year old rearline frigate like the Saratoga also houses the crew's family members. I don't know that dragging your wife and child into combat situations is something the Federation would do strictly for propaganda purposes.

It's far more likely that that the Federation just isn't warlike but still reserves the right to defend itself. It's a real stretch to assume that Starfleet really is just the 24th century equivalent of the U.S. Navy but everything we've seen that says otherwise is just a facade.