View Single Post
Old February 25 2009, 01:52 PM   #50
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Re: Should the USAF take over incompetent NASA?

John Picard wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
John Picard wrote: View Post
One issue I see with a nuclear propelled vehicle is having a nuclear physicist on board to monitor and adjust the reactor as needed.
Big deal, just put one in as part of the flight crew, and they check out the reactor(s) as needed to, like any engineer usually does on a nuclear powered ship on Earth. No big whoop.
Do you have any idea how many men it takes to monitor the reactors of a Nimitz class carrier?

And such a ship would (and should be) built in space anyway, in a spacedock adjacent to the ISS. No protests would happen.
No protests? People will be howling about what could happen should there be an accident and any nuclear material enter the earth's atmostphere.

You didn't think this one through, did you?
Oh, but I did, since it's going to be like, what, I don't know-millions of miles up the gravity well? And also that if anything happens, the fissionables can be shot into a higher orbit? Or towards the sun? See, I do think these things through, unlike most of the people who object to this idea.

Think that I'm full of shit? Read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars), but especially Red Mars, to see what I just said about needing NERVA.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; February 25 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote